Multiple PDN with libqmi/ModemManager?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Fri Jun 28 04:44:04 PDT 2013

"Martin Anderseck" <Martin.Anderseck at ni.com> writes:

> Hey Aleksander,
>
>> ModemManager supports creating multiple bearers associated to different
>> APNs or with different IP types (e.g. IPv4 or IPv6); but I don't think
>> the MC7710 exposes multiple QMI and net ports, which is what would be
>> needed to achieve this.
>
> Thank you for your quick response. You're right, the MC7710 only
> exposes /dev/wwan0 and if I understand you correctly then we'd need
> /dev/wwan1 etc.? So it seems this is a limitation of the firmware,
> right?
>
> I will take a look if the module can be convinced to expose more QMI
> and net ports but it's already good to know ModemManager supports this
> :-)

The MC7710 can be configured to expose 3 QMI ports.  You can find
instructions on how to do that hidden in Sierra Wireless' excellent
AT command documentation, which I believe now is available to anyone
registering on http://developer.sierrawireless.com/

Now I never made the 3rd port work, and quite frankly I believe there is
a firmware bug preventing that.  The qmi_wwan driver will ignore it for
this reason.  But the 2 first ports work fine and can be used for
simultaneous packet network connections.

I was hoping the MBIM version of the firmware would expose the same
capability using MBIM IP session multiplexing, but the firmware I've got
so far does not seem to do this.  Still hoping that will improve in the
future.  The MBIM firmware still support the 3 QMI ports when configured
for QMI operation.

Bjørn