Huawei E5776

Thomas Schäfer tschaefer at t-online.de
Tue Apr 15 04:53:23 PDT 2014

Am 15.04.2014 12:56, schrieb George Hills:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Huawei E5776, which is a device which offers wifi and usb
> internet connections over a mobile network.
>
> Wifi obviously works fine. USB *should* work as a conventional USB
> dongle type device.
>
> I can use the device fine by simply plugging it in with a USB cable and
> then "ifconfig wwan0 up ; dhclient wwan0".

I think, this is the way it should be done. The ModemManager should
ignore this device completely and the NetworkManager should configure it
like an LAN-device.

It is useless to try a connection via serial/ppp/modem-mode while the
device-firmware itself grabs the built in umts/lte-module and acts as an
router.

I can't remember trouble with usb_modeswitch. I will investigate the
behavior again later.

Only one hint: There was a bug in kernel 3.13 regarding this device, it
is already fixed. 3.13 stable and 3.14 are fine again.

Thomas