Huawei E5776

Thomas Schäfer tschaefer at t-online.de
Thu Apr 17 02:02:39 PDT 2014

Am 17.04.2014 10:52, schrieb George Hills:
> Hi,
>
> On 16 Apr 2014, at 20:46, Thomas Schäfer <tschaefer at t-online.de> wrote:
>
>>> If ModemManager claims the device, NetworkManager will ignore the
>>> ethernet interface until the modem is connected with ModemManager.  If
>>> the device doesn't actually require AT or other commands to start the
>>> connection, then ModemManager should probably just ignore it.
>>
>> The behavior of this device is like the "hilink" mode. If you force it  the
>> modem-mode (maybe you are able to do it) you probably lose the connection of
>> the WLAN-clients.
>
> I’ve tried this morning the following:
>
> Power off the E5776.
>
> Disconnect the USB cable.
>
> Power up the E5776.
>
> Attach a WLAN client and start pinging an address on the Internet over the WLAN
> link to the E5776 and onwards over its LTE link to my network operator.
>
> Connect the E5776 to my Linux box and allow usb_modeswitch to run.
>
> Bring up the wwan0 connection on the Linux box and run dhclient to obtain an IP.
>
> Ping an address on the Internet from the Linux box over the wwan0 connection.
>

> At no point after the original WLAN client is attached, does it ever lose its
> connection or stop receiving ping replies. The wwan0 interface likewise works
> as expected.
>
> So it seems that this device at least  (E5776s-32) can work with both types of
> client simultaneously.

You got me wrong. There is no problem (for me too) to use usb (with
wwan0 and dhcp) and wlan at the same time with two or more clients.

But you should not use /dev/ttyUSBX with ModemManager.

The device manages its "public IP" by itself and makes NAT-routing for
the USB-client as well for the wireless-clients.

Regards,
Thomas