AT Commands for QMI based Dialing?

Michael Shell list1 at michaelshell.org
Mon Dec 29 11:10:53 PST 2014

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 10:44:27 +0100
Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es> wrote:

> You're not the first one asking for a GLib/GIO-less libqmi/qmicli; I
> actually have been in the situation of wanting one myself when I was
> playing with an embedded device with very low capabilities. I may try
> to write something during this next year if I find enough free time to
> do so.

  Aleksander,

Yep, whenever just basic networking is involved, we can't assume the
full resources and packages of a typical modern desktop are always
available. Networking has always been something that comes up very
early during the course of *Nix system building/installation.

I can and do, however, see where the binary QMI interface could be
a vast improvement though. I wish Qualcomm would be more open about
the software part of the interface spec. For example, do a search
for "Packet Data Handle" and see how little seems to be out there
about that.

It could be even simplier than a GLib free qmicli - just two commands
(or one with two modes), "qmineton" and "qminetoff", to enable and
disable the qmi interface (even assuming assuming here AT based setup
and APN entry) might be enough for many/most of the users who want
something less than qmicli. (I guess it really depends on whether
they also want the other info and diagnostic features provided by QMI.)

  Cheers and thank you,

  Mike