Deal with 'NotOpened' errors?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon Feb 24 05:06:48 PST 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:

> I triggered this by *hibernating* the laptop with MM managing the MC7710
> inside.  I have no clue how this actually works, but it seems that the
> USB core then restores the USB device to the exact same state on resume
> - as seen from the OS.  The only problem is of course that power to the
> module was cut, so all internal state in the modem is lost.
>
> I don't blame MM for not catching that the modem was powered off behind
> the curtain.  It seems the kernel hides this fact completely for
> userspace, which maybe is something we should fix as well?  But I still
> think that MM could handle the 'NotOpened' error better....
>
> There doesn't seem to be any other way out of this than restarting MM to
> have the modem rediscovered and reinitialized.

Oh, that's pretty unfortunate indeed. Aren't we supposed to get udev
events for this case? Just re-opening the MBIM port is not enough very
likely as we would need to re-send PIN at least... If we detect this,
we should likely mark the modem as invalid and re-start probing from
scratch, so that we keep a sane state within MM.