[RFC] Unmanaged GPS setup / location source

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Jul 1 05:21:53 PDT 2014

Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> writes:

>> > Gobi! :)  The fun thing here is that you have to open the port and run
>> > $GPSSTART or something like that, then it starts spewing NMEA, and to
>> > stop it you  have to re-grab the port and run $GPSEND.  I guess that
>> > would be fun if the port is still locked by the consumer.
>> >

>> You mean you need to send $GPSSTART in the same port where you're
>> going to get the NMEA traces?
>
> Yeah:  http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Qualcomm_Gobi_2000#GPS

Yes, and that should work with your MC77xx devices in QMI mode too.
Don't remember about DirectIP mode.  Could be that mode implements the
Sierra vendor specific control request instead?

Might work with the MC73xx as well.  Haven't tested those.

Still wondering how to enable the NMEA output on the Intel based Sierra
Wireless EM7345.  Does anybody know?  I assume it will use the same
method as earlier Infineon modems, if there are any of those with GPS
support.

Bjørn