Sierra Wireless EM7355

Erinn Looney-Triggs erinn.looneytriggs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 11:08:06 PDT 2014

On 06/19/2014 11:55 AM, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Erinn Looney-Triggs <erinn.looneytriggs at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> This modem is acting pretty erratically to be honest, sometimes
>> it appears modemmanager detects it on boot, sometimes not. No
>> particular rhyme or reason that I can divine at this point.
>>
>> I don't believe anything else is using the device, best way I
>> know to check for this is lsof of /dev/cdc-wdm0, and nothing is
>> showing.
>>
>> So on this boot the modem doesn't appear to be detected by
>> modemmanager, though dmesg shows a listing for it being
>> detected: dmesg | grep cdc [    3.661711] usbcore: registered new
>> interface driver cdc_ncm [    3.663117] usbcore: registered new
>> interface driver cdc_wdm [    3.668520] cdc_mbim 3-10:2.12:
>> cdc-wdm0: USB WDM device [    3.668686] cdc_mbim 3-10:2.12 wwan0:
>> register 'cdc_mbim' at usb-0000:00:14.0-10, CDC MBIM,
>> d6:97:d6:76:77:18 [    3.668704] usbcore: registered new
>> interface driver cdc_mbim
>>
>> sudo mmcli -L
>>
>> No modems were found
>
> Is the modem completely dead at this point, or can you actually
> talk to it using mbimcli (after stopping ModemManager)?  If you
> can, does MM detect the modem if MM is restarted?
>
> I see from the log you sent previously that MM gives up really
> fast, and that the version in F20 seems to be a git snapshot from
> 20130913.  Is this correct, and will this cause problems,
> Dan/Alexander?
>
>> I'll read up on usbmon, and any other suggestions are
>> appreciated.
>
> I'd really like to have these problems sorted out, so I appreciate
> it if you continue to debug the MBIM problems. But if you depend on
> the modem and want a quick-fix, then I assume switching it to QMI
> mode will help. I don't know F20 so I don't know if this is
> applicable, but an udev rule similar to this used do the job in the
> good old days:
>
> ATTR{idVendor}=="1199",ATTR{idProduct}=="901f",ATTR{bConfigurationValue}=="2"
> ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="1"
>
> This will force the modem to USB configuration #1.  You'll then
> need the patch Dan referred to, but IIUC you already had a new
> enough kernel.
>

> Bjørn

Oh no worries we can work on through it, when needed I can boot on
into windows to work. If I am doing things correctly, it appears that
the modem does not respond to mbimcli.

Here is roughly what I did:

sudo systemctl disable NetworkManager.service
rm '/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service'
rm '/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service'
rm '/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/NetworkManager.service'

sudo systemctl disable ModemManager.service
rm '/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service'
rm '/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ModemManager.service'

sudo systemctl stop NetworkManager.service
sudo systemctl stop ModemManager.service

sudo mbimcli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --query-device-caps
error: couldn't open the MbimDevice: Failure

Now I know very little about mbimcli, so I may be doing this totally
wrong :).

- -Erinn