How to do mobile broadband from command line

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Mar 14 05:09:00 PDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 12:35 PM, Yegor Yefremov
<yegorslists at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> 2. nm invokes daemon() to detach from console, i,e. become a daemon in
>>> the start scripts. Is this functionality planned for mm? Or should one
>>> only use start-stop-daemon or alike?
>>
>> Yeah, NetworkManager becomes a daemon by default unless --no-daemon is
>> used, ModemManager never becomes a daemon by default. You can likely
>> use start-stop-daemon for that if you want; or rely on DBus
>> auto-activation; or let systemd handle the lifecycle for you, whatever
>> you prefer. I don't think we'll add the daemonizing logic within MM,
>> truth be told, not sure how helpful will that be.
>
> You mean, if ModemManager wasn't started and nm is compiled with
> --with-modem-manager-1, then nm would start mm, as soon as it
> discovers a gsm device? Like here:
> http://raphael.slinckx.net/blog/documents/dbus-tutorial

If you're not using systemd, NetworkManager will try to start
ModemManager right away (not when a modem is found) via DBus
activation (NM pings the MM interface and dbus-daemon starts MM to get
the ping replied). If you're using systemd, the lifecycle of
ModemManager will be managed by systemd, and NetworkManager won't ping
the MM interface at all, just watch for it to come alive.