AT+ECM for connection management, QNCM rx_framing and le16 length prefixed IP tx_framing

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Mar 25 02:04:50 PDT 2014

Julio Araujo <julio.araujo at wllctel.com.br> writes:

> Bjørn,
>
> I'm not familiar with QMI, is it possible for you give me some more
> instruction in order to do the test that you wish?

I wish I knew an easy way without messing too much with your
installation.  The reason I didn't explain in detail how to do this is
that I really don't know...

You have already provided so much useful information.  Do the QMI
testing only if you want to.

> As I told you I'm using this distro:
> julio at mynote:~$ lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
> Release:	12.04
> Codename:	precise
> julio at mynote:~$ uname -a
> Linux mynote 3.8.0-36-generic #52~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 3
> 21:54:46 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> and I checked for the modem-manager that I have installed and I found
> that it is not 1.x:
> julio at mynote:~$ dpkg -l | grep modem
> ii  modemmanager                             0.5.2.0-0ubuntu2  D-Bus
> service for managing modems
>
> and unfortunately I have no idea in how to check if this QMI is a
> tools and if it is installed or if I need to install it in order to
> perform the test.

I assume you use a LTS version for a reason, and I don't want to
recommend anything making a mess out of that.

Looking at http://packages.ubuntu.com/modemmanager  I see that you will
need MM packages from trusty to have anything with QMI support in
Ubuntu.  I don't know if installing those on precise is feasible.  I
assume not.  They will probably drag in too many dependecies and you'll
end up without any other possibilty than doing a full OS upgrade.

Anyone else have any tips on how to *easily* test a new MM version on
Ubuntu precise?  I guess rebuilding the trusty source packages
(including new library dependencies) might be possible?

> Sorry for to many questions.

No problem. Please continue to ask :-)

Bjørn