Samsung GI-B3740 support in Modem-manager?

Oskar Enoksson enok at lysator.liu.se
Thu Oct 2 14:12:27 PDT 2014

Hi. I bought a Samsung GT-B3740 LTE USB-modem on ebay (they sell them
for just ~10 Euro there now).

However, making it work under Linux turned out to be non-trivial. My
kernel 3.11 under OpenSUSE 13.1 have the necessary kalmia.ko and
option.ko drivers, but ModemManager doesn't support it (the generic
plugin doesn't work).

I found https://github.com/mkotsbak/ModemManager-Samsung-LTE which
supposedly contains a plugin for Samsung GT B3710/3730/3740, but it
seems to be an old version of ModemManager - it's not obvious how to
merge this code into e.g. ModemManager 1.0.0 which is what OpenSUSE 13.1
uses.

My questions now:

Does anyone already have a ModemManager plugin for my modem GT-B3740 or
any other kalmia modem?

If not, can you give me some hints on how to write a plugin? I don't
know anything about modemmanager, but I found the documentation on
https://developer.gnome.org/ModemManager/unstable/ and I suppose I could
create a plugin from that information and from Marius B. Kotsbaks old
code. But should one create a new plugin from scratch? Or should it be
derived from some existing plugin? Or should I just add the kalmia-modem
functionality into the existing samsung plugin?

Thanks
/Oskar