Problems with PUK handling (CLIENT-8155)

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Jul 20 10:28:36 PDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-07-20 at 15:41 +0200, Torsten Hilbrich wrote:
> When testing the PUK handling in ModemManager 1.4.6 I noticed some problems.
>
> The PUK is triggered by trying to change the PIN with the wrong old PIN:
>
> # mmcli -i 0 --change-pin 1111 --pin 0815
> error: couldn't change PIN code in the SIM:
> 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.libmbim.Error.Status.Failure: Failure'
> <repeated some times>
> # mmcli -i 0 --change-pin 1111 --pin 0815
> error: couldn't change PIN code in the SIM:
> 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Error.Core.WrongState: Need
> to be unlocked to allow changing PIN'

<snip>

> When trying to unlock the PUK everything works fine when the correct PUK
> is sent. However, if I sent a wrong PUK the following happens:
>
> # mmcli -i 0 --puk 1234 --pin 1234
> successfully sent PUK code to the SIM
>
> Problem 2: There is no indication that the PUK was wrong. But the PUK
> lock remains active.

I can reproduce the issue, and I've pushed a patch to MM git master (and
backported it to various release branches) that should fix the issue,
return an error to the client, and set the modem lock state accordingly.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/ModemManager/ModemManager/commit/?id=9b051b14ed33b5eca2e7d1b384d6a9f60d08e482

Thanks for the report!
Dan