Use a specific device ?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Jun 11 00:29:42 PDT 2015

Jean-Christian de Rivaz <jc at eclis.ch> writes:
> Le 10. 06. 15 23:37, Bjørn Mork a écrit :
>> Jean-Christian de Rivaz <jc at eclis.ch> writes:
>>
>>> There is not so
>>> much modem manufacturers and each of them don't even release a new
>>> product range per year.
>> Ehh... I don't think we live on the same planet.  Did you know Toshiba
>> is a "modem manufacturer"? Dell? HP? There are 43 (damn - I would have
>> loved to see 42) different vendor IDs just in the option driver:
>>
>>   bjorn at nemi:/usr/local/src/git/linux$ git grep -E '^#define.*VENDOR' drivers/usb/serial/option.c |wc -l
>>   43
>
> Please provide a complete picture:
> git grep -E '^#define.*VENDOR' drivers/usb/serial/* | wc -l
> 174
>
> Not a such bit number. There are various vendor/product database on
> the internet, I failed to identify a unmanageable number of modem on
> them.

Please go ahead and complete the driver whitelists, then.  It will be
appreciated.

I tried to explain to you why a whitelist design makes an incomplete
list into a failure, while a blaocklist based design ensures that stuff
works whether the list is complete or not. That is something to take
advantage of whenever you can.  It's also used in e.g. USB class drivers.

But whatever.

You are advocating a change here.  That's fine.  But you shouldn't
expect everyone to jump at your redesign ideas just like that.  There
ore often reasons for the existing design, and those who designed it
have often been through multiple incarnations already.

You haven't convinced me yet, to put it mildly...

Bjørn