Use a specific device ?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Jun 11 11:45:25 PDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-06-11 at 11:19 +0200, Jean-Christian de Rivaz wrote:

> >> Please provides real substantial example.
> > Go look it up in the modem database you have access to.
>
> Why? You are the one pretending that this reality exists by your
> experience, not me!
>
> > You can use almost any modem present in any laptop as example, or any
> > modem marketing name from any of the major asian vendors.  They will
> > *all* have a number of different VID/PID combinations.  If you should
> > happen to find an exception from this rule, then that would be a truly
> > interesting device.
> >

> I never pretending that that there was just a few VID/PID combinations.
> I do pretend that the number of combinations is not completely out of
> control like you try to present.

I guess our definitions of out-of-control are different then :)

The FCC database lists ~3396 FCCIDs, 164 of which have been granted so
far in 2015 alone, that are:

- PCS spectrum (eg 1850 - 1910mhz)
- Part 24E
- Class PCB - PCS Licensed Transmitter (not held to face or worn)
- original grants
- registered from 2003 - today

That does include some tablets, MiFis, and M2M devices.  So for a more
representative sample I did a query of all the FCC Grantee codes of all
the WWAN devices I have which gives me a total of 1039 devices from 24
different manufacturers.

These are very restrictive queries because:

1) they do not include devices *not* registered with the FCC, eg many
European/Asian/African devices that aren't intended for sale in the US
2) they only included devices registered for the US/Americas PCS band
(1900MHz)
3) the 1039 query only includes a couple of common manufacturers
4) this is for the FCC ID, not the VID/PID of the device.  Many devices
that are re-branded by OEMs (dell, quanta, HP, Acer, etc) will change
the VID/PID for the same hardware.  So a large number of these devices
will have multiple VID/PIDs.

I also have 15+ devices (from 6 or 7 manufacturers) that have no FCC
registration because they were never intended for sale in the US.  There
are also many whitebox devices.

We have 1118 unique USB IDs in option+sierra+qcaux+qcserial+qmi_wwan
kernel drivers.  Which means we're not even close to covering the USB
IDs of just US registered devices, and that doesn't even cover the
devices that are CDC-ACM, MBIM, or NCM and don't need IDs.

Dan