Huawei E3372h-153 on Linux - it's working!

Vittorio Gambaletta (VittGam) linuxbugs at vittgam.net
Sat Jun 27 12:24:51 PDT 2015

Il 27.06.2015 19:52 Thomas Schäfer ha scritto:
> Am Samstag, 27. Juni 2015, 14:29:17 schrieb Vittorio Gambaletta:
>> I've got E3372h-153 with firmware 21.180.01.00.00. Is this the same of your
>> key? Please note that E3372s and E3372h use different chips... They are
>> similar only on the outside.
>
> Ok, it is not nice how huawei confuses the user. I have two E3372s-153.
> One works only in router-(web-gui)mode, the other works not in the expected
> mode like windows does, but maybe with ppp.

There are two hardware versions, and for each, two different kinds of firmware.

So we have:

E3372s non-HiLink (PPP & NDIS)
E3372s HiLink (WebUI)
E3372h non-HiLink (PPP & NDIS)
E3372h HiLink (WebUI)

Then there are the region-specific revisions, like 153 for ours. Those specify
the frequencies where the stick works.

You can go between firmware kinds, so you could convert your non-HiLink key into
a HiLink one and viceversa. But the region code must match.

If you don't need advanced features like IPv6 or NAT avoidance, you might try
this way. But you can kill the stick if you flash the wrong file, so be careful...

> Conclusion: for the h-version your hint may help others, for the s-version it
> probably  doesn't.

You might want to try other values for the tx_max and/or min parameters. Always
remember to set the min back to the value you want, as it defaults to 512 every
time the max is changed.

Also, if you happen to enable the debug interface on your key, any message from
the firmware might help. But if I remember well, the steps to enable it on the
3372s are different than those for the 3372h, and a particular unlock code might
be necessary...

Best,
Vittorio