Sierra Wireless EM7455

Nicolas Christener lists at 0x17.ch
Thu Aug 4 15:13:26 UTC 2016

Hi Dan :)

On Wed, 2016-08-03 at 11:09 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
[...]
> Any chance you can try the SIM in another WWAN card in the computer, or
> in a USB stick?  Or try the same EM7455 in Windows?

tl;dr: the WWAN card works now! It might to be related to the SIM PIN.

Longer description: I bootet the Thinkpad with a USB stick that has a Windows
8.1 on it (this Windows version is not related to the Thinkpad and e.g. does
not contain device specific drivers, etc.).

While Windows showed a "mobile broadband" (or similar) icon in the network
settings it did not connect out of the box. My suspicion was, that I probably
need to set my SIM PIN and other ISP related data somewhere.. while searching
for the right place in Windows where I can set this information I found an
option to remove the PIN from the SIM. I did so, but Windows still didn't
connect (no error message was shown and I didn't investigate much).

I rebooted the device and without any further change I can now connect to the
Internet using ModemManager/NetworkManager/etc.

I had a Thinkpad T520 with an Ericsson (IIRC) WWAN card before. The SIM card
was a micro SIM and it was PIN protected as well. I did a 'dd' of the whole
disk to the new device but had to replace the SIM as the T460s uses a nano
SIM. So the PIN stuff worked on the old device, but there might be an issue
around MBIM (just a wild guess) that prevents ModemManager to use/set the PIN
on the new device?

If I can provide more information or any other help just let me know.

Thank you very much for the assistance and have a nice day!

Kind regards,
Nicolas