Architectural-Queries on integrating Sierra-MC8090 with Linux

Ajay Garg ajaygargnsit at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 07:29:43 UTC 2016

Thanks Benoit for the reply.

I wrote this email, when I was absolutely clueless as to how things fit in.
Fortunately, through the help of MM and NM mailing lists, I have been
successful in achieving what I wanted.

For other people who might be going through the pain (I know it really
hurts), here are the broad-level steps I followed ::

a)
Changed the modem to QMI-mode.

https://forum.sierrawireless.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=6759#p28436
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/modemmanager-devel/
2016-August/003303.html

b)
Ensured that ModemManager was a fairly recent-one.

https://launchpad.net/~aleksander-m/+archive/ubuntu/modemmanager-trusty
sudo apt-get install modemmanager

c)
Let the kernel use qcserial/qmi_wwan/qmi-proxy to load /dev/cdc-wdm...
interface, to set up communication in manner ::

             Any-User-App <=> ModemManager <=> qmi-proxy <=> /dev/cdc-wdm
.. <=> modem
                                                 ^
                                              mmcli

Then use mmcli for setting up connections manually.

Detailed Q&A in
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/modemmanager-devel/2016-August/003292.html
thread.

Thanks and Regards,