Lenovo (x260) and EM7455

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Fri Aug 19 10:27:52 UTC 2016

Just to summarize the results of this:

- The EM7455 was in low-power mode due to config preference mismatch:
    GENERIC_002.007_000 != GENERIC_002.004_000
- The mismatch was intially resolved by uploading the missing
    GENERIC_002.007_000 PRI config

But a modem reset caused the preferred PRI to revert back to
GENERIC_002.004_000. Repeating the procedure gave the same result. I
have no idea why...

Even more odd is the fact that the modem boots the 02.08.02.00 firmware,
although the PRI it claims is preferred refers to 02.05.07.00, and both
these firmwares are installed.

The issue was worked aorund by setting the GENERIC_002.004_000 PRI as
preferred, making the current and preferred match after modem reset.
This is a bit ugly, since that PRI really refers to another firmware
version.  But I guess it doesn't matter as long as it actually boots
02.08.02.00.

I obviously need to figure out how these things actually work...

Side note:  I wasn't aware that qmicli could update the firmware
preference until I started looking at how to add that feature today.
The "--dms-select-stored-image" was not obvious to me.  It has the
drawback that you can only select already installed versions, but I
guess that can be seen as a feature - preventing this sort of image
mismatches.

In any case: "qmicli --dms-select-stored-image" appears to work fine
over MBIM with my EM7455, as long as the images are uploaded first.

Bjørn