ModemManager auto reconnect

Brendan Simon (eTRIX) brendan.simon at etrix.com.au
Mon Feb 8 20:31:14 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have a number or remotely deployed arm embedded linux systems that
uses a 3G modem via USB to post http information once per second.  The
modem goes down from time to time.  One reason is we assert the power
reset line on the modem once a day (as I've been told that the modems
need to be reset periodically, otherwise functionality degrades or
eventually lost).  The other reasons I am not sure of (service provider
initiated?  bugs in the application code?

The modem can be off for many hours before eventually reconnecting
(possibly by watchdog reboot) which is not acceptable for our real-time
monitoring application.

Does MM automatically try to re-establish a connection if it sees the
connection go down, or the modem is reset?

Are there recommended or suggested MM settings such that MM will
continually try to reconnect if the modem goes down then back up?

Thanks,
Brendan.