Plugin probing issues with USB vendor/product ID

H.-R. Oberhage oberhage at Uni-Duisburg-Essen.DE
Tue Feb 23 15:29:53 UTC 2016

Hello!

Regarding your entry "Plugin probing issues with USB vendor/product ID":
"I experience a plugin vendor/product ID probing issue with an USB
device, the Thuraya XT phone. The phone directly plugs into an USB port,
there's no USB-RS232 converter in between."

I have a similar effect with another device. The "patch" you installed
may solve your problem for that specific device (Thuraya XT phone), but
it's a hack like mine. The problem seems to root deeper.

I have analyzed it in (some) depth in a bug report for "modemmanager" in
Ubuntu (15.10/wily). It is bug #1534678 in 'bugs.launchpad.net'. Please
have a look there. It involves "get_device_ids" and
"g_udev_device_get_property" in the "lib_gudev" library.

For me, it sadly has consequences (IPv4/v6-stack) even after applying
'my hack'. May be, you are interested in that, too.

Thanks for the attention,
  Ruediger