Using SMS with MC7354 in the Verizon LTE network

Jerry Hicks jhicks at camgian.com
Wed Jan 6 09:42:41 PST 2016

> Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 23:19:20 +0100
> From: Reinhard Speyerer <rspmn at arcor.de>
> To: modemmanager-devel at lists.freedesktop.org
> Subject: Using SMS with MC7354 in the Verizon LTE network
>
> AFAIK it should not be required to implement a IMS client in
> ModemManager for sending/receiving SMS in the Verizon LTE network at
> least when either the MC7750 or the MC7354 with the VZW Gobi image is
> used as both include an IMS client for SMS in their firmware.
>
> If IMS registration has been successful according to the AT!GSTATUS?
> output it should be possible to send a SMS via the internal IMS client
> by using the ModemManager/libqmi equivalent of the Gobi API WMSRawSend
> method with TLV 0x13 (SMSOnIMS) set to 1.
>
> Due to the Verizon requirements for SMS over IMS the RawMessage passed to
> WMSRawSend has to be in 3GPP2/CDMA2000 format even if LTE is used.
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard

Very useful information Reinhard!  Thank you so much.

The Verizon support people we are able to talk to didn't seem to be able to tell us
much about how to get ourselves active on VZWIMS.   I guess maybe I am as
confused as they are about whether that is a requirement.

We are using VZWINTERNET for our normal IPv4 data connectivity but I believe
they frown on attempts to 'park' on IPv4 addresses perpetually and our intention was to
provide a wake-up message over the IPv6 VZWIMS network to initiate a device call-home
over IPv4.

(Our applications are for M2M type remote devices without a human in front of them)

My very limited understanding of how that might work would involve setting up a 'PDP'
for VZWIMS IPv6 or something.   I think that once that is active then ModemManager
won't really even need to interact with the IMS profile (?)

In the future we will probably just go all out IPv6 with a Verizon back haul into our data
center and avoid all that mush.

Thanks again for the clue, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks.