Sierra EM7455 not recognized

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Fri Jul 1 05:59:37 UTC 2016

Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es> writes:
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Tomek Mańko <jaennirin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, it turns out the explanation was pretty mundane - I was duped by my
>> worplace. I asked for a L460 with LTE modem, PM passed on a request for a
>> L460
>> with an LTE modem and apparently requisitioning decided to save by buying
>> one
>> without. When I opened it up the M.2 socket was just empty ~~'
>>

> :/
>
>> While I'm pretty pissed about that there's also a silver lining. It seems
>> that
>> Lenovo whitelists another modem for this laptop - Huawei ME906S.
>> Would it maybe be a better/more supported choice considering problems other
>> people seem to have to get the Sierra working? Is it an equivalent modem or
>> is
>> it better to buy Sierra and just wait for better drivers?
>
> In this very specific case, we still don't have the EM7455 working
> properly as of today, so likely the ME906S is a better choice (today).
>
> See these emails from Bjørn
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/modemmanager-devel/2016-June/003141.html
> and Andreas Fett
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/modemmanager-devel/2016-March/002726.html
> about the ME906S.

Yes, I guess that is the sorry state right now.

But on the paper, the EM7455 is a much better modem unless you need 2G
support.  The EM7455 is a cat6 device supporting 14 LTE bands, while the
ME906s is a cat4 device supporting 8 LTE bands.

Ref
 https://www.sierrawireless.com/products-and-solutions/embedded-solutions/em-and-mc-series/
 http://consumer.huawei.com/en/solutions/m2m-solutions/products/tech-specs/me906s-158-en.htm

But making it work at all is of course the killer feature...  And right
now we haven't got a clue what the problem with the EM7455 is, so there
is no ETA for a fix.  It could take forever, literally.

You could always get both, just in case :)

Bjørn