USSD over MBIM

Laurent Savaete laurent at where.tf
Tue Jul 12 17:19:51 UTC 2016

Hello all,

I recently bought a couple of dlink USB modems, more exactly DWM-156 HW
version A8.
They work ok on linux after figuring out the usb_modeswitch stuff, but
now I'm stuck with getting them to do USSD.
I am getting the exact same symptoms as in this thread:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/modemmanager-devel/2014-August/001487.html

I see no signs of work being done on adding this support either in this
mailing list, in the bugtracker or the git repo, so I'm pondering
writing a patch to get my modems to work (I want to query the prepaid
credit status of the modem).

So my questions:
- has USSD via MBIM been implemented and I missed it?
- if not, how hard would it be to write the missing code if I've never
looked into MBIM or modemmanager code?
- any pointers to relevant documentation for MBIM?

Thanks!
Laurent