Sierra Wireless EM7455

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Jun 9 18:53:13 UTC 2016

Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es> writes:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 12:27 AM, Ralph Plawetzki <ralph at purejava.org> wrote:
>> My modem needs that too and I can get it online, but as described it
>> gets a local IP then. From searching the web, many people had problems
>> getting the modem online or getting an IP at all.
>
> This is interesting then; the modem does get online (as opposed to the
> QMI modems, which fail to set the full-power mode), and it even gets
> an IP assigned, but then no traffic flows through the interface?
>
> The work I've been doing in the qmi-over-mbim branch from ModemManager
> would not work if this is the case, as it assumed that for MBIM modems
> the failure would be when getting online.
>
> And if this is true, then what we need to do is unconditionally try to
> send the FCC auth via QMI over MBIM for all these modems; maybe even
> as a generic thing in the MBIM implementation, as likely other modems
> from other vendors will just give an error when trying to use that
> specific MBIM service.
>
> What do you guys think, should we unconditionally try to send the FCC
> auth via QMI over MBIM in the generic MBIM implementation? E.g. during
> the power-up sequence.

My memory lasts exactly this far: .

Did we test the behaviour of non-Sierra modems supporting the QMI MBIM
service?  If they quickly respond with an error on the unsupported QMI
request, then I guess unconditional is fine.

How difficult will it be to restrict this to Sierra modems with QMI
service support?  Or was that the set you meant we should
unconditionally try the command on?  If so, then I say "go!".

Bjørn