Huawei/Vodafone K5160 in MBIM-mode, problems with dualstack

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Jun 15 19:41:55 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-06-15 at 19:51 +0200, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
> Am 14.06.2016 um 22:43 schrieb Dan Williams:
>

> > As always when there are questions, MM debug logs are usually
> > necessary
>
> Here are the log files. K5150 (the old one) mostly connects via
> dualstack. It is an example that mbim works in principle in my setup.
> (SIM, APN, NetworkManager 1.06, ModemManager master, mbim master)
>

> I expect this behavior from K5160 too.

Yeah, but you won't get it :)

The 4 bytes before "7E:5E:2A:7E" in the raw data are the context IP
type for basic-connect set & reply messages.

MM is certainly requesting an IPV4V6 (0x00000003) bearer from the
modem.  The K5150 returns that same bearer type in its basic-
connect/set response.  But the K5160 replies that it has activated an
IPV4 (0x00000001) context instead, despite the fact that it apparently
provides IPv6 configuration too.

For further investigation, can you change this line in
connect_set_ready():

                ctx->ip_type = ip_type;

to:

		ctx->ip_type = MBIM_CONTEXT_IP_TYPE_IPV4V6;

and then see if you actually get IPv6 connectivity out of the modem?
 We need to know if the modem can actually do IPV4V6 and it's simply
lying to us in the basic-connect/set response, or whether it can't do
IPv6 (and thus isn't lying in basic-connect/set) but is lying when the
IP configuration is queried.

Dan