Huawei me906s-158

Andreas Fett andreas.fett at secunet.com
Mon Mar 7 12:17:01 UTC 2016

Hi Bjørn,

On 07/03/16 09:38, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Since the modem definitely works in MBIM modem, it's more likely that
> there is something interfering with the MBIM control channel in Linux.
> For example some unknown process reading from the character device, or
> something sending unknown commands to it which makes it lock up.  We
> have seen examples of both those problems in the past.
>
> Use "lsof /dev/cdc-wdm0" to make sure there are no unwanted listeners.
>
> Make sure nothing probes the device for any other protocol than MBIM
> (some Sierra Wireless Qualcomm based devices are for example known to
> switch control protocol to whatever probes it first, regardless of USB
> descriptors saying MBIM).

At the moment I'm trying to capture the usb traffic starting with the
initialization of the cdc_mbim module, while not loading any modules not
needed.

I'm somewhat confused however about the relation between the cdc_mbim
and the cdc_ncm driver. It is loaded when inserting the cdc_mbim module
via modprobe. Should I load the huawei_cdc_mbim module (for which you
posted the patch with the proper ID earlier), too?

Andreas