Huawei me906s-158

Andreas Fett andreas.fett at secunet.com
Fri Mar 11 09:03:19 UTC 2016

Hi Bjørn,

On 10/03/16 18:39, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Andreas Fett <andreas.fett at secunet.com> writes:
>> I still have to load the mbim_module manually and sometimes I'm able to
>> "talk" to it. I have no clue which factors lead to success or failure here.
>
> Huh?  Why do you need to load cdc_mbim manually?  Doesn't it autoload
> when the modem is switched to the MBIM configuration? Or is the probe
> failing at this time?
The autoload works just fine. It's just that the xhci module is loaded
in the initramfs where the cdc_mbim module is not available and I
disabled the "udevadm trigger" later on to prevent interference of other
modules.

> Well, a couple of more things to try out if you are able to connect
> again:
>
> 1) move the NDP
>
> With a v4.5 kernel you will have a "ndp_to_end" sysfs attribute.  Try
> toggling it on and see if that makes any difference:
>
>  echo Y >/sys/class/net/wwan0/cdc_ncm/ndp_to_end
>
> You can do this after connecting if you want to.  The driver will enable
> it immediately for the rest of the session.
I had one boot now where the modem responded and this actually made it
fully functional, that is I could get a ping across it after connecting
and assigning the ip address.

> 2) DHCP
>
> You should also try using a DHCP client instead of manual IP
> configuration.  Some firmwares can be a bit difficult about this,
> although I don't think we have seen that with MBIM yet.  Mostly worth
> trying because it is easy to test. Not really believing it will work :)
When the modem responds I can do dhcp on it. I then get the same
address information ModemManager reports. I'm not sure if this is
required though.

To sum up, when the modem comes to a state where it will respond
to mbimcli --query-device-caps it seems to be operational (after setting
the cdc_ncm sysctl). If I can't talk to it using mbimcli it's just
totally silent and it seems to me that only a cold reset (as opposed to
a reboot) will get it out of that state.

However up to now its only about one in ten boots (using the same image)
where this works.

Andreas