Extended signal info for AT devices (was: Re: [RFC] Initial support for the new MC74XX modules)

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Sat May 14 15:33:21 UTC 2016

Hey!

Please next time don't hijack some other email thread; write a whole
new email instead :)

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Nizar Ben Neji <nizarbenneji at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
> I'm facing this issue when running this command line: mmcli -m 3
> --command='AT!GSTATUS'
>
> error: command failed:
> 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Error.Core.Unauthorized: Cannot
> sent AT command to modem: operation only allowed in debug mode'
>
> What does this mean? I would like to extract these info:
>
> PCC RxM RSSI:  -63              RSRP (dBm):  -90
> PCC RxD RSSI:  -61              RSRP (dBm):  -88
> Tx Power:      0                TAC:         78BF (30911)
> RSRQ (dB):     -6               Cell ID:     01036701 (17000193)
> SINR (dB):     19.2
>
> Many thanks for any help

We currently don't allow to send arbitrary AT commands to
ModemManager, except for when MM is running in debug mode (i.e.
--debug). This is to avoid conflicts with the logic we apply.

Our approach to handle your issue would be to extend the default AT
based implementation with the new "Signal" DBus interface, which
allows for detailed signal quality measurements (currently the Signal
interface is only implemented for QMI modems, not for AT based ones).

Cheers!