[URGENT] Regressions in latest QMI-related packages

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Thu Oct 13 09:15:47 UTC 2016

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 7:53 AM, Ajay Garg <ajaygargnsit at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking at
> https://launchpad.net/~aleksander-m/+archive/ubuntu/modemmanager-trusty, it
> seems that the packages were uploaded in June/July, well before my testing
> in August.

That is what I was going to say; that PPA was updated a long time ago,
not recently.

> The only difference in my testing as of now from previous time, is the
> absence of modem-antenna (we are still awaiting its delivery). In that case,
> are the previous symptoms possible (killing of qmi-proxy after some time,
> and some operations not supported for mmcli)?

The autokilling of qmi-proxy is totally normal IF there are no QMI
clients registered. Not sure if that is your case, though. Can you
make sure you test with latest stable versions of all libqmi, libmbim
and ModemManager?

The operations not supported errors are actually coming from the
specific modem management logic. It may be the case that for some
reason I don't get the Sierra plugin isn't grabbing the modem and
instead it's falling back to the generic modem. We would need
ModemManager debug logs, see:
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ModemManager/Debugging/

> I am sorry for sounding such an ass, but I am really tense. Sorry again for
> that.

I would suggest to always test with latest stable versions; not
relying on an unofficial PPA I created a long time ago for totally
different purposes. If there are issues with latest versions (stable
or git master), provide debug logs before and after the issue, and
reduce the drama just a bit :)

Cheers!