03f0:521d Hewlett-Packard again

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Mon Sep 19 17:43:22 UTC 2016

Harald Jung <harald.jung at ecos.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> two years ago we had some trouble with the HP hs3110 HSPA+
>
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/modemmanager-devel/2014-September/001553.html
>
> The last time the job was done to patch the option driver, this doesn'
> work with the variant of the moden i have in another HP notebook.
> My last test was to patch the huawei_cdc driver (because its a jungo
> device), but it seems the problem is on the AT port.
>
> I've tested to switch to the other bConfiguration value, but it seems
> the device doesn't speek mbim nor qmi.

This looks like MBIM to me.  Doesn't it work?:

>   Configuration Descriptor:
>     bLength                 9
>     bDescriptorType         2
>     wTotalLength          137
>     bNumInterfaces          3
>     bConfigurationValue     2
>     iConfiguration          3 configuration 1
>     bmAttributes         0xa0
>       (Bus Powered)
>       Remote Wakeup
>     MaxPower              500mA
>     Interface Association:
>       bLength                 8
>       bDescriptorType        11
>       bFirstInterface         0
>       bInterfaceCount         2
>       bFunctionClass          2
>       bFunctionSubClass      14
>       bFunctionProtocol       0
>       iFunction               0
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        0
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           1
>       bInterfaceClass         2
>       bInterfaceSubClass     14
>       bInterfaceProtocol      0
>       iInterface              0
>       CDC Header:
>         bcdCDC               1.10
>       CDC MBIM:
>         bcdMBIMVersion       1.00
>         wMaxControlMessage   1024
>         bNumberFilters       32
>         bMaxFilterSize       128
>         wMaxSegmentSize      1500
>         bmNetworkCapabilities 0x20
>           8-byte ntb input size
>       CDC MBIM Extended:
>         bcdMBIMExtendedVersion           1.00
>         bMaxOutstandingCommandMessages     16
>         wMTU                             1500

> T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=02 Cnt=02 Dev#=  3 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
> D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=02 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  2
> P:  Vendor=03f0 ProdID=521d Rev=00.01
> S:  Manufacturer=Hewlett-Packard
> S:  Product=HP hs3110 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Device
> C:  #Ifs= 5 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr=500mA
> I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=02 Prot=01 Driver=option
> I:  If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=02 Prot=02 Driver=option
> I:  If#= 2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=02 Prot=03 Driver=option
> I:  If#= 3 Alt= 1 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=02 Prot=07 Driver=huawei_ether
> I:  If#= 4 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=02 Prot=05 Driver=option

The "huawei_ether" is a vendor specific driver?  FWIW, I believe that is
the correct driver for this function.  It is probably resembling a
standard CDC ECM device, except that it has merged all 3 endpoints in
one USB interface.  And it might support an AT command channel similar
to the huawei_cdc_ncm type functions.  But I'm only guessing.  Never
actually tested one of these.

You might be able to trick qmi_wwan into supporting the function for
testing purposes (exporting the assumed AT channel over the
/dev/cdc-wdm0 device), but I don't want to do that by default.  It will
confuse the hell out of both users and software if qmi_wwan started
driving non-QMI functions..

I still recommend MBIM for these devices, if at all possible. So please:
Test configuration #2.

Bjørn