Running ModemManager without udev (v2)

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Thu Sep 29 13:47:36 UTC 2016

> This is the second attempt to consolidate a set of patches to, among other
> things, allow disabling udev as a requirement for ModemManager.
>
> The 'generic' kernel device backend now reads and loads all udev rule files
> once on boot, which allows us to prepare some unit tests that will do the
> same for each available rules before doing a release. Note that the actual
> them for correctness (i.e. we don't validate that a given rule will be applied
> to a given device, as that would require the device to be present).
>
> Allowing to disable udev is not the only new feature added; these patches also
> provide support to name a given modem device with a unique id (e.g. via a
> udev property set in the parent udev_device) that can later be used to identify
> the modem in "mmcli -m" calls.

Another difference w.r.t. the first patch series I sent is that the
ReportKernelEvent() API now only expects 4 parameters: action,
subsystem, name and (optionally) physdev uid. I removed the
possibility of providing vid/pid and other stuff via API because it
was redundant as we could anyway load it afterwards ourselves when
needed.