ModemManager: symbol lookup error: ModemManager: undefined symbol: mm_kernel_event_properties_get_type

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Thu Apr 6 19:35:07 UTC 2017

On 06/04/17 21:26, Jan Graczyk wrote:
> I have used ./configure --with-qmi=yes than make and make install and I have run ModemManager with a command ModemManager --debug. Am I missing any other option in ./configure? Thank you for your help.

If you are not using --prefix=/somewhere in ./configure, by default it
will get installed under /usr/local. i.e. the daemon in
/usr/local/bin/ModemManager and the libraries in /usr/local/lib.

There are distributions out there that include /usr/local/bin by default
in the $PATH, but then, they don't add /usr/local/lib in the default
paths for library loading. This is likely your case: you're running
/usr/local/bin/ModemManager but it is trying to link to
/usr/lib/libmm-glib.so, instead of /usr/local/lib/libmm-glib.so.

Given that you're upgrading MM to a completely new version which also
includes DBus updates, you may want to directly just install under /usr,
overwriting whatever was there before... for that you can just configure
using --prefix=/usr.

Otherwise, if you do want to keep installing under /usr/local, you'll
need to explicitly update the LD_LIBRARY_PATH when running ModemManager
like this:

$ sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib /usr/local/bin/ModemManager