Sierra HL7588

Paul Bartell paul.bartell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 00:12:26 UTC 2017

Hello,

I've been trying to bring up a Sierra HL7588 modem on the latest version of
ModemManager. The HL7588 seems to be based on the Sierra EM7345 with an
Intel/Infineon chipset.

This modem has three different USB configurations:

1. CDC-ACM and 4 NCM ports
2. CDC-ACM
3. MBIM and CDC-ACM

Only the second configuration works properly out of the box (standard ppp
connection).

After patching ModemManager not check tx/rx byte counters, the modem
sometimes connects in MBIM mode. Other times it fails when connecting to
the bearer with an "OperationNotAllowed" or "NoDeviceSupport" error. I've
attached a log of the ModemManager --debug for the modem in mbim mode.

It seems to connect reliably once per reset when specifying ip-type=ipv4v6
instead of just ipv4. If I attempt to connect and then disconnect, the
modem must be reset before it will connect again. Similarly, when
connecting via mbimcli, it defaults to ipv4v6 and connects correctly the
first time but disconnecting and reconnecting always returns
OperationNotAllowed or NoDeviceSupport. Sometimes using mbimcli with
--set-radio-state=off and then --set-radio-state=on resets it sufficiently
to connect again.

I also attached a log for the HL7588 in NCM mode if that would be helpful
as well.

Also here is a list of the device capabilities reported by mbimcli
mbimcli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 -p --query-device-caps
[/dev/cdc-wdm0] Device capabilities retrieved:
Device type: 'embedded'
Cellular class: 'gsm'
Voice class: 'no-voice'
Sim class: 'removable'
Data class: 'gprs, edge, umts, hsdpa, hsupa, lte'
SMS caps: 'pdu-receive, pdu-send'
Ctrl caps: 'reg-manual'
Max sessions: '16'
Custom data class: 'unknown'
Device ID: '014284000026041'
Firmware info: 'M2M_7160_MBIM_VERIZON_WW_01.15'
Hardware info: 'XMM7160_V1.2_MBIM_NAND_VERIZON'

mbimcli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 -p --query-packet-statistics
error: operation failed: OperationNotAllowed

I would really appreciate any ideas on what my next steps should be.

Thanks,
Paul