Sending SMS in PDU mode fails.

Daniele Palmas dnlplm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 12:26:37 UTC 2017

>>> As far as I know this happens only for Verizon customization that uses
>>> SMS over IMS with 3GPP2 pdu.

>>> Looks like a carrier requirement for SMS.
>>>

>> See also Reinhard's comment about this:
>>
>> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/modemmanager-devel/2016-January/002468.html
>>

> Interesting... I now wonder how we can setup all this to work
> automatically, if at all possible. We don't have any carrier-specific
> customization right now anywhere. Maybe some user specified parameter
> asking for a specific type of PDU to generate?

For this specific scenario would it be a too ugly hack blindly
re-trying with 3GPP2 if 3GPP fails and then storing the setting if
successful?

Unfortunately the result code is not helpful here (CMS ERROR: 41 that
is temporary failure), but this could be something Telit specific...

Or maybe we can let each plugin take care of this: for Telit modems
probably we can think of checking some substring in the model name
(e.g. -SV or -NV). Maybe other modems have a similar rule or some
custom AT command that can be checked for that.

Just throwing some ideas, not sure how much they make sense..

However a more generic way to address carrier customization issues
could be helpful for other scenarios.

Daniele