Fetching signal quality during data connection?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Feb 1 19:09:42 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-02-01 at 07:17 +0000, colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com
wrote:
> Thanks Dan.
> I'm targeting one of two (on-board) modems, so maybe I'll look at
> patching for my case - iirc the modems can act on handshaking signals
> for the termination; I'll have to dig further.
> What's the first-line approach MM takes to terminate (to help me
> navigate the sequence of operations), for the case of a 'good' modem?

The sequence depends on whether it's a 3GPP (GSM/UMTS/LTE or LTE/CDMA)
or 3GPP2 (eg CDMA1x or EVDO-only) device.  In any case, we'll assume
you have a 3GPP one.

MM currently does the following:

1) sends AT+CGACT=0 for the active PDP context to terminate the data
connection.  If the primary port is used for PPP, it attempts to send
the CGACT on a secondary port (if available).

2) "flashes" the data port for 1 second, which means setting the baud
rate to zero (B0), which is supposed to mean "hang up!" and cause the
modem to return to command mode.  In serial kernel drivers, this should
cause the machine to de-assert DTR.  Unfortunately, that seems somewhat
inconsistently done in the drives, and sometimes the drivers change B0
to B9600.

Furthermore, since baud rate and all the serial signals are really just
pointless with USB-based devices, not all drivers and devices actually
allow setting the baud rate at all, so this is prone to failure.

3) closes the serial port, in the hopes that if the baud setting
doesn't work or is ignored by the modem, that closing the port will
cause the modem to hang up because the kernel driver de-asserts
whatever signals are required to cause the modem to drop the data
connection.

4) re-opens the serial port and sends another CGACT on the data/primary
port because some dumb devices stop responding on the primary port when
a CGACT is sent on a secondary port.

So if your device (and its kernel driver!) is well-behaved, the "flash"
procedure should set B0 and de-assert DTR, and that should terminate
the data session and cause the port to re-enter command mode.  MM of
course then closes/reopens the port, which may not be useful for your
device.

So there are two options, perhaps:

1) Change ModemManager to recognized your device (via ATI/GMM/GMR info)
or USB VID/PID to skip the close/reopen step

2) change the MUX driver to wait a short period of time (3 - 5 seconds)
when all ports are closed before it powers the modem down.  Which might
be a good idea anyway?

Dan