How to issue an "ifup broadband" when this is logged

Russ Westrem lspwaterproofing at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 20:14:35 UTC 2017

I have tried locking bands and not locking them.  My setup is stationary
and does not switch towers or bands normally.  But after about 30 min of
connection the connection is lost.  The ip actually does stay the same.
The Mmcli -b 0 shows not connected.  The only way to reestablish a
connection is to issue an ifup.  The bearer then changes to Mmcli -b 1 and
the connection lasts for another few minutes until the process repeats
itself.

On Feb 8, 2017 1:29 PM, "Dan Williams" <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:

On Tue, 2017-02-07 at 10:02 -0600, Russ Westrem wrote:
> I asked this in someone else's e-mail but maybe i should have made my
> own
> so here it is.
> My goal is to issue an ifup broadband in LEDE whenever this line is
> logged
> from modemmanager.
>
> daemon.info [1035]: <info>  Modem
> /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0:
> state changed (connected -> registered)
>
> My problem is when my band changes or i change cell towers or i drop
> the
> signal for a split second the modem will re-register with
> modemmanager with
> a new public IP and the only way to bring it back is with an "ifup
> broadband"

Do you mean that when, say, the modem is registered with a tower at
700MHz LTE and decides to switch to 1900MHz LTE with the *same
provider* on either the same tower or another tower, that it
deregisters and re-registers, and gets a new IP address?

If that's the case, that would be somewhat unusual, since
handoff/handover is supposed to make sure this isn't the case... and if
this is the case, I'd expect MM to not terminate the bearer since the
handoff should preserve the packet data connection.

Signal drops also shouldn't terminate the packet data connection, since
 short signal drops are fairly normal like when going through a short
tunnel or dead spots between cells.

But if instead you mean that when you force the modem to lock to a
specific band, it de-registers and re-registers, then that's expected
since most modems have to re-initialize some stuff.  In that case,
ModemManager should (but may not currently) handle the disconnect and
reconnect by terminating the active bearer.

Dan