Modem creation/startup order

Colin Helliwell colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com
Mon Feb 13 13:05:39 UTC 2017

> On 10 February 2017 at 17:47 Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 3:39 PM, <colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com> wrote:
>
> > I’ve got two ports whitelisted for use by MM. What determines which one of
> > them will be ‘Modem/0’ ?
>
> Just the first modem that finishes first probing all ports.
>
> > Is there a way to get MM to create/initialise 0 first, then 1 – as opposed
> > to doing both in *parallel*?
>
> Nope, no way, they will be done in parallel. Note, though, that you
> can "name" modems or refer to them directly using the physical device
> USB path, which won't change across reboots:
> https://sigquit.wordpress.com/2016/10/06/naming-devices-in-modemmanager/

Thanks. The question arises from needing to have monitoring & URCs etc on one port of my mux driver, and ppp on the other - I need to make sure that ppp doesn't get run on the 'monitoring' port i.e. the one that gets in first with having the URCs enabled.
This all makes me think I need this 'primary'/'secondary' port stuff - after all that's more or less what the mux is doing too.
Perhaps I can modify Cinterion's grab_port() to flag the ports as primary/secondary? (They're /dev/ttyMux0, /dev/ttyMux1). Does this sound feasible, or is there more to the dual-portness than that....?