Cinterion plugin (in)compatibilities

Colin Helliwell colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com
Mon Feb 13 13:56:54 UTC 2017

> On 10 February 2017 at 17:52 Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 3:40 PM, <colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com> wrote:
>
> > For simplicity, I’d begun my exploration of MM using the Generic plugin. My
> > design has a choice of two Cinterion modems (BGS2 and EHS5), though they
> > don’t have much of the functionality supported by the Cinterion plugin such
> > as GPS.
> >
> > But because of one command incompatibility (CMER) with the Generic, I
> > decided to try the Cinterion plugin. This addresses the CMER issue, but
> > throws up more incompatibilities due to differing versions of Cinterion
> > commands sets.
> >
> > If Generic turns out to be the closest fit then I could just patch it as
> > needed. But I also wondered if there’s a key Maintainer of the Cinterion
> > plugin who might like to discuss what I’ve found with a view to
> > incorporating the variations somehow? Or I could patch the plugin. Or I
> > could generate *another* Cinterion plugin….
>
> Depending on the incompatibilities, the changes should go to the
> Cinterion plugin (if Cinterion specific) or to the Generic plugin (if
> generic things we didn't support yet). If it is a generic AT command,
> to know if it is one or the other, you can lookup the relevant doc in
> the 3GPP reference (ETSI 27.007). If the incompatibility is something
> in that reference that we don't support yet, it should go to the
> Generic plugin,

It's probably a bit difficult/subjective to decide that - some items are 'generic' commands, but seemingly supported in a Cinterion-and-modem-specific way...!
Here's some of what I've found so far - either from actual debug logs on their BGS2, or from reading the Command Set docs for their EHS5 (I'm currently awaiting hardware to test for real):

BGS2 requires 'AT+CMER=3,0,0,2' instead of 'AT+CMER=3,0,0,1'. (As mentioned, the Cinterion plugin does cater for this param change). But the EHS5 appears to not support CMER at all.
BGS2 errors on 'AT+CNMI=2,1,2,1,0' - the bfr=0 isn't supported, and ds=1 is only accepted when "phase2+" is enabled (by an 'AT+CSMS=1'). For the latter I see similar restrictions mention in the TODO, for Huawei K4505 and ZTE MF637.
'AT^SIND="simstatus",1' isn't supported by either - 'simstatus' is unrecognised.
'AT^SCFG=?' - BGS2 doesn't supply "Band/Radio/.." in its response (even though it is a dual 900/1800 device)
MM isn't able to parse the BGS2 response to 'AT^SMONG' - I haven't investigated this further. EHS5 doesn't seem to support the command at all.

There's a few others, but I suspect they may be things that don't matter to subsequent functionality (e.g. 'AT^SQPORT?')
You'd maybe be thinking "Well, the Cinterion plugin is kind of aimed at some particular devices of theirs, not just *any* of their devices"... and I admit I'd be hard-pushed to convincingly argue against such a stance....! (But I still don't really wanna be writing a whole new plugin from scratch :S)