How to issue an "ifup broadband" when this is logged

Russ Westrem lspwaterproofing at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 23:09:40 UTC 2017

On Feb 15, 2017 4:37 PM, "Dan Williams" <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:

On Wed, 2017-02-15 at 21:14 +0100, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 9:00 PM, Russ Westrem
> <lspwaterproofing at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is there anything in the modemmanager scripts that I could change
> > to have it
> > ignore the deregistered modem and stop it from removing it from the
> > bearer.
> > I have a feeling these deregistrations happen often but very
> > quickly and
> > maybe if ignored, everything might work.
>
> You mean you want to totally ignore the modem-reported de-
> registration
> notifications to see what happens? I'm not sure that is easily
> decoupled from the logic; maybe you can try to avoid connecting the
> "serving-system" signal in
> common_setup_cleanup_unsolicited_registration_events() in
> mm-broadband-modem-qmi.c.

That shouldn't have any effect though, really?  MM's logic on bearer
initiated disconnection just changes some state, but doesn't do
anything material to the WDS client.  The WDS client and packet data
handle are still there and haven't been cleaned up.  Whether you can
actually use them for anything is another question.

But Russ, I don't quite understand why you'd want to ignore the
deregistration, unless it's just for testing.

If it's not for testing, well, the network kicked you off, and your
packet bearer is likely gone (since the network has released resources
for it when it kicked you off), and the IP details are gone too.
That's not the modem, that's the network.  The only thing you can
really do is request a new bearer.

Dan

I'm not sure either.  I just dont get why it holds a connection for days on
Ubuntu 16.04 in the exact same spot using ModemManager and it never looses
a single ping but when I do it on any router, mbim/qmi/4.4 kernel/4.9
kernel, it will last an hour and then drop the connection 10 times every
hour after that.

I will try your suggestion on requesting a new bearer but I don't know if
that will solve my problem .   Also I'm just too new at all this to figure
out how to make that script work for me on LEDE.