Updated plugin not being found

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Thu Feb 16 11:46:31 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 12:23 PM,  <colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com> wrote:
> I’m doing quite a bit of debug of a plugin, and simply copying the new .so
> into the plugins directory. Oh, and also rebuilding the ModemManager now and
> again.
>
> This did work a few times, but I’ve got a situation where ModemManager isn’t
> finding the plugin. I’m pretty sure I’m copying from the same place as
> before. Is there something else needs updating, some broken linkage
> somewhere in what I’ve now got on the system?

You need to take into account that the ModemManager program will look
for the plugin files in the ${libdir}/ModemManager directory set
during compilation.
When building the project, are you using a explicit --prefix or a
explicit --libdir? If you're using none of them, then by default the
plugins directory will be /usr/local/lib/ModemManager and that is
where MM would look for plugins; likely not what you want. So maybe
you copied over a new ModemManager program that was built without the
correct prefix?

Just make sure you use the same prefix paths when doing your own local
builds and the real system builds (this is assuming you're building
locally and copying file to a remote system). If both build and target
systems are the same; e.g. building and running on the same machine,
better use "make install" to install files in the correct place
directly.

What's the exact error you're getting anyway?