[systemd-devel] WebUSB

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Mon Jan 9 17:56:06 UTC 2017

Lars Knudsen <larsgk at gmail.com> writes:

> It seemed like if just one interface in the description list was somehow
> compliant with modem manager, the full device seemed claimed.
>
> I may have missed something in my headers while experimenting. Can you give
> an example of a header structure that will not be assumed to be a modem by
> MM while still accessible as a proper CDC serial device - without
> blacklisting anything?

I am slowly starting to wonder if the concern is about composite devices
where you want a subset of the functions to be used in one context (MM)
and another subset to be used in another context (WebUSB)?  Is this
correct?

If so, then I believe you won't be able handle that in a single
configuration.  If you mix all functions in a single configuration then
you are correct that MM will take control of the device based on the
functions it (or the kernel) supports.

Split the function subsets in different configurations and make the OS
and/or userspace select the active one if you need to support these
different use cases.  Anything else is going to be an endless mess of
workarounds and quirk lists all over the place.

Bjørn