Fetching signal quality during data connection?

colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com
Wed Jan 25 16:22:10 UTC 2017

I have MM essentially running on my hardware, but I'm puzzled by a part of
its behaviour:

I can enable the modem with mmcli --enable, and in the debug output I see
the signal quality being periodically refreshed. I can also, more or less,
make a connection to the APN with -connect, and then bring up ppp.

However:

Once the '--connect' has been done, MM can no longer get the signal quality
- "signal_quality_check_ready(): Couldn't refresh signal quality: 'No AT
port available to run command'"

A more serious problem is that if MM tries to fetch the signal quality after
'--connect', but before ppp is started, then the ppp negotiation
subsequently fails ("LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests").   I *can* get
ppp connected as long as I start it before MM next tries to get signal
quality.

In case it's relevant, the modem is a Cinterion. I'm actually using it via
their 'linmux' multiplexor - just on a single virtual port though.

I'm puzzled as to why MM keeps trying to get signal quality after the data
connection - my understanding was that you can't use [most] AT commands
after this. I may be wrong there, but the info on my modem says (for
'ATD*99#') - "The V.250 'D' (Dial) command causes the MT to enter the V.250
online data state and, with the TE, to start the specified layer 2 protocol.
No further commands may follow on the AT command line"

Can anyone advise? Thanks