Single RS232 port Telit and CMUX mode (GSM 27.010 / n_gsm)

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Mon Jul 3 12:10:05 UTC 2017

Hello,

I'm trying to get a (GPRS / 2.5G) Telit GE910-Quad V3 working in CMUX
mode.  There's only a single RS232 port connection between the modem and
the host computer, so I'd like to use GSM 27.010 ("CMUX") mode.  The
Telit module does have another physical port, but there isn't a spare
UART on the host (and I can't use USB), so I'm stuck with the one RS232
connection only.

So far I've hacked about with things as a proof of concept - an external
binary attaches the line discipline and I've manually setup calls using
pppd and chat scripts on one port, whilst monitoring signal quality etc.
on another multiplexed.

I've then hacked around with the ModemManager source to force it to
probe a couple of  /dev/gsmtty, ModemManager then identifies two
separate Telit modems:

root at nmtest:~# mmcli -L

Found 2 modems:
        /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/1 [Telit] GE910-QUAD
        /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0 [Telit] GE910-QUAD

/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
  Status |          state: 'registered'
         | signal quality: '58' (recent)
         |          bands: 'egsm, dcs'
         |    access tech: 'unknown'

root at nmtest:~# mmcli -m 1 --simple-status