Huawei ME906s-158 (a.k.a. HP lt4132) IPv6 support

Reinhard Speyerer rspmn at arcor.de
Wed Jul 5 20:03:16 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jul 05, 2017 at 03:38:00PM +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:
> * Bjørn Mork
>
> > I don't know if this will help Tore much anyway.  I did some testing
> > with the E392 to confirm that I remembered correctly: This modem does
> > *not* change the output of any command when IPv6 is disabled.  The only
> > visible difference is that IPv6 connections fail.  You can still
> > configure them.
>
> Now I've tried running the tool, both the patched version and the
> original in the MM git repo, on every single /dev/ttyUSB* that show up
> in all three bConfigurationValues with no special USB serial module
> loaded and also with option.ko, qcaux.ko, and qcserial.ko. All possible
> permutations of the above I tried in a scripted manner.
>
> Most of the time the tool fails with:
>
> E: failed to receive QCDM IPv6 pref command reply
> E: failed to get IPv6 state
>
> Sometimes it instead crashes, saying only:
>
> ipv6pref.c:105: qcdm_send: Assertion `errno == 0' failed.
>
> It never actually did anything resembling a successful operation. I
> suppose that means the the tool, patched or not, simply does not support
> the ME906s-158.
>
> > In the current state, with IPv6 enabled, everything works on the E392:
> >
> > root at miraculix:/tmp# qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1  --wds-start-network=apn=telenor.smart,ip-type=6  --wds-follow-network
>
> No cigar:
>
> $ qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --wds-start-network=apn=telenor.smart,ip-type=6 --wds-follow-network
> error: couldn't create client for the 'wds' service: CID allocation failed in the CTL client: MBIM error: Transaction timed out
>
> The other qmicli commands you pasted doesn't work either.

Hi Tore,

according to the Huawei product page given in your previous email the
ME906s-158 contains a Hisilicon Balong V711 chipset which explains why
there is no QCDM port and why the QMI-over-MBIM tunneling fails.

> > This behaviour is so different from the symptoms Tore see, that I doubt
> > there is any relation.  Still, it can't harm to test if the attached
> > patch allows writing anything that NV item...  Or it can harm - I never
> > give out gurantees when it comes to arbitrary NVRAM writes ;-)
>
> I really appreciate the input, thank you. But unfortunately I think the
> conclusion is that there is no hope to make IPv6 work on this modem,
> unless Huawei or HP support returns to me with some magic trick to
> enable it.
>
> The good news is that HP support agreed to replace my lt4132 with a
> lt4120, which is a Foxconn device that I hope works better.

Well, at least it seems to contain a Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset and another
lt4120 user has written up the steps to make it work on Linux here
https://abarouski.blogspot.de/2016/07/configuring-hp-lt4120-in-linux-as-i.html
.

Regards,
Reinhard