Fwd: MC7455 in X220 with ModemManager 1.6.4

Dominik Strnad litinoveweedle at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 14:56:08 UTC 2017

Hi Aleksander,

thank you very much for reply. Please find my answers bellow. I will
apreciate any help, thank you.

BR
Dominik

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es
> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Sorry it took so long to reply; looks like I lost this email in my inbox.
> I'm breaking threading as well here, sorry.
>
> > I did recently change modem in my Lenovo X220 running Ubuntu 16.04 to
> MC7455 I bought from Farnell. I did add Aleksander PPA for ModemManager on
> Xenial: https://launchpad.net/~aleksander-m to get newer version on MM,
> which should hopefully support my modem. Unfortunately I found that bug
> which prevents MM sending FCC auth for MC7455 is still included in code in
> MM 1.6.4 release:
> >
> > https://cgit.freedesktop.org/ModemManager/ModemManager/commi
> t/?id=21f315f6d554b93e4f098cfd0e94c484a8a0c5dc
> >
> > I tried to backport given fix into MM source package for 1.6.4 on PPA
> but even I did so, I am not able to correctly pass FCC auth ( whole MM debug
> > is attached). May I please kindly ask Aleksander, would it be possible
> to update your PPA to MM 1.6.6 so I can try my modem with latest MM
> version? (maybe there is something else needed to get my modem to work
> correctly) Thank you so much.
> >

> I don't think FCC auth is your problem, you're getting a "NoEffect" error
> and that means there is no need to send FCC auth:
> ModemManager[2748]: <debug> [1496072816.201321]
> [mm-broadband-modem-qmi.c:3024] dms_set_fcc_authentication_ready():
> Couldn't set FCC authentication: QMI protocol error (26): 'NoEffect'
>

> > - I used Sierra flash tool under windows to flash latest FW and install
> drivers under Windows7 as I read some reports about images problem with
> card but without any efect.
> >

> Oh, you should have used qmi-firmware-update, it works very well ;)

Could you please check that I didn't mess fw images anyhow? Is the lsit in
the MM debug ok? I read about similar problem where it was caused by some
disagreement between fw and setting on the card...

> > - To get MC7455 working in X220 miniPCIe slot I used whitelist BIOS and
> I need to isolate some pins on card: odd pins 1-51 (whole top side) and
> pins 30, 32. (So in fact only USB2, SIM interface and WWAN LED pins are
> connected) I did not isolate PIN 20 for rfkill, but modem is not even
> visible under rfkill list all.
> >

> Oh, hum. See, there you may have a problem. When we query the "operating
> mode" from the device, it is telling us that it is in "low-power" mode due
> to "hardware restricted mode". Maybe you do need to play with the rfkill
> pins as well?

I can test that, but strange is, that WWAN card is not listed in "rfkill
list all" listings which is strange.... But I will double check this. and
also I can isolate PIN 20. But how I could validate, that low power mode is
because of external hw rfkill signal?

> <<<<<< QMI:
> <<<<<<   flags       = "response"
> <<<<<<   transaction = 20
> <<<<<<   tlv_length  = 15
> <<<<<<   message     = "Get Operating Mode" (0x002D)
> <<<<<< TLV:
> <<<<<<   type       = "Result" (0x02)
> <<<<<<   length     = 4
> <<<<<<   value      = 00:00:00:00
> <<<<<<   translated = SUCCESS
> <<<<<< TLV:
> <<<<<<   type       = "Mode" (0x01)
> <<<<<<   length     = 1
> <<<<<<   value      = 01
> <<<<<<   translated = low-power
> <<<<<< TLV:
> <<<<<<   type       = "Hardware Restricted Mode" (0x11)
> <<<<<<   length     = 1
> <<<<<<   value      = 01
> <<<<<<   translated = yes
>

> > - Under Ubunutu NetworkManager, I had 'Enabled Mobile Broadband' *card)
> but I can not enable the connection - as it is greyed out. Which is
> probably consequence of modem never reports operation state, being in low
> power mode - see the log.
>
> Unfortunately, fixing the low-power issue won't be the only problem if you
> want to run the modem in QMI mode. The MC7455 requires "raw-ip" support in
> the Linux kernel qmi_wwan driver, and the default kernel version coming in
> Ubuntu 16.04 is not new enough. I did prepre an additional PPA to include
> Linux 4.4 in Ubuntu 16.04, but note that I'm really not maintaining that
> one actively:
> https://launchpad.net/~aleksander-m/+archive/ubuntu/kernel-
> xenial-qmi-raw-ip
> <https://launchpad.net/%7Ealeksander-m/+archive/ubuntu/kernel-xenial-qmi-raw-ip>

Ubuntu 16.04.2 installs a 4.8 kernel for new installation - so I can check
for qmi_wwan driver to be loaded and provide exact kernel version
installed. Are there any other requirements? If so could it be possible to
use DKMS to build that driver for maintained mainstream kernel 4.8.?

> If you want to skip the kernel problem, you may want to switch the modem
> into MBIM mode; although I don't recall if there were missing MBIM fixes
> that would be required for this device in Linux 4.3; but worth testing
> (once you fix the low-power mode issue).

What mode do you suggest? QMI or MBIM? I know that there is some password
needed to apply some AT command to switch modes, but I didn't found exact
procedure. Also my card seems to be kind of not branded card, bought
directly from reseller, not delivered as part of my HW by Lenovo, so
password might differs.

> Or just switch to a newer Ubuntu version... :)

18.04 is unfortunately not yet here... :-)