MC7455 'Call Failed'

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Thu Jun 22 15:35:51 UTC 2017

Hey,

> The MC7455 presents two QMI+WWAN pairs which I think is quite common
> for the Sierra Wireless modems. The first appears to be raw-ip and the
> 2nd 802.3. Most of the qmicli commands won't work on cdc-wdm0 (raw-ip)
> and I believe this is expected but I'm not clear exactly why (could
> you explain this?).

Oh, are you really getting a wwan set as 802.3 in the MC7455? That's
interesting; the raw-ip support in qmi_wwan was partially developed
because we couldn't switch the wwan from raw-ip to 802.3 in the
MC7455.

I'm not sure how the qmicli commands fail with cdc-wdm0, though. Are
you by any chance running qmicli commands at the same time as
ModemManager is running? And if so, are you maybe not using the "-p"
option in qmicli? Remember that if MM is running, all qmicli commands
should be run with "-p", so that they are routed through the qmi-proxy
process shared by all programs that want to talk to a given QMI port.
These assumptions may be a long shot, but could very well be your
issue.

> I can connect using libqmi directly on cdc-wdm1 (802.3) using 'echo
> "APN=h2g2" > /etc/qmi-network.conf; qmi-network /dev/cdc-wdm1 start'
> then use 'qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1 --wds-get-current-settings' to get
> the IPv4 configuration and set it manually (as dhcp won't work over
> the raw-ip mode which qmi-network configures /dev/cdc-wdm1 as).

What? so qmi-network configures raw-ip over the cdc-wdm1/wwan1 pair
and it really was 802.3 originally? I'm not sure that makes sense. Are
we sure the wwan1 is setup as 802.3 initially?

Note: you also need to instruct the qmi-network to use the qmi-proxy;
you would do that adding "PROXY=yes" in /etc/qmi-network.conf.

> So now that I understand how to use these QMI modems directly using
> libqmi I'm wanting to make sure I understand how to use modem-manager
> and network-manager to connect. I'm finding that 'mmcli --modem 0
> --simple-connect="apn=h2g2"'' doesn't appear to work:
> root at ventana:~# mmcli --modem 0 --simple-connect="apn=h2g2"
> successfully connected the modem

Well that worked.

> root at ventana:~# qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1 --wds-get-current-settings
> error: couldn't get current settings: QMI protocol error (15): 'OutOfCall'

I would bet that ModemManager is using /dev/cdc-wdm0. If so, you need
to understand that both cdc-wdm0 and cdc-wdm1 should be treated as
completely different call stacks. If you get cdc-wdm0 connected,
cdc-wdm1 may still be out of call as you said. If you want to run
qmicli --wds-get-current-settings on the cdc-wdm0 you can just add the
"-p" additional option as said before.

Although, when using ModemManager you wouldn't
--wds-get-current-settings. Instead you would show the connected
bearer information: run "mmcli -m 0", and once you get the list of
bearers (at the end of the output) you can "mmcli -b X" being X the
index of the bearer that was shown. This will give you information on
how the modem should be connected: in your case it will be either
static IP addressing (for raw-ip interfaces) or dhcp (for 802.3
interfaces).

> Also, I'm unclear how to NetworkManager on the QMI devices:
> root at ventana:~# nmcli connection add type gsm ifname cdc-wdm1 con-name
> mc7455 apn h2g2
> Connection 'mc7455' (5dc4516e-e857-4917-9542-0dee211b692a) successfully added.
> root at ventana:~# nmcli connection up id mc7455
> Error: Connection activation failed: No suitable device found for this
> connection.
>
> What is the appropriate interface to use for QMI devices (wwan1 gives
> the same error)? This is supposed to be the 'control interface' not
> the 'network interface' correct?

Retry without the "ifname cdc-wdm1" part; just add a gsm connection
type with the APN settings, without binding to an explicit modem, and
try to get that connected.