ModemManager and ppp

Tom Hayward tom at harbortronics.com
Fri Mar 10 16:24:56 UTC 2017

I'm a new user of ModemManager and trying to understand the scope of
the software.

I've used ModemManager successfully with a cdc-wdm modem. It created a
wwan0 interface where I could use a dhcp client and then route
packets.

Now I have a cdc-acm modem that requires running pppd on /dev/ttyACM0.
I have a pppd and chatscript config to initialize it, a ppp0 interface
is created, and I can route packets over it. Can I do any of this with
ModemManager? I've found that I can use --simple-connect="apn=xxxx" to
get the modem state to change to "connected", but it does not create a
ppp0 interface on which to route packets.

Is this a matter of configuration, lack of support, or simply outside
the scope of ModemManager? Is there a way to use ModemManager to
initiate the ppp connection?

Tom