Could not acquire the 'org.freedesktop.ModemManager1' service name

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Mar 21 16:41:11 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-03-21 at 16:33 +0000, Jan Graczyk wrote:
> Hello Aleksander,
>
> Thank you for your response. I have actually stopped running Modem
> Manger and then I have issued the command ModemManager --debug. This
> time the service name was acquired. However I have got another
> problem. The mm-base-manager.c:314 reports error device added():
> (tty/ttymxc2): port's parent platform driver is not whitelisted. Do
> you know the solution for this problem? Thank you for your support.

What is the device hooked up to on the machine itself?  ModemManager
does not usually auto-probe various platform drivers, because it cannot
 know that a modem is connected as these are not USB/PCI/etc and either
do not provide device identifiers, or the device is a generic serial
adapter which doesn't necessarily indicate a modem either (eg, it could
have a UPS attached or something).

So generally for these devices, if you have one you know what you are
doing, and you can add a whitelist entry for it quite easily with udev
rules.  But let's confirm the details first.

Dan