h5321gw Problem with --location-get

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Mar 23 06:04:52 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-03-23 at 01:00 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-03-22 at 22:14 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Wed, 2017-03-22 at 20:34 +0000, Thomas Lang wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm trying to get the cellId info from an Ericsson module. I'm
> > > using
> > > the modemmanager version 1.6.4.
> >
> > What firmware version?
> >
> > Is the firmware MBIM-mode or AT-mode?
>
> I updated my HS2350 (rebranded h5321gw) to MBIM-enabled firmware
> R3C11
> and tested it out.
>
> The MBIM protocol does not give ModemManager the LAC/CI at all, so MM
> can't actually tell you any of that.  And it's a bug in ModemManager
> that it says MBIM devices actually have 3gpp-lac-ci capability; that
> should be removed.
>
> In the case of the Ericsson devices though, they still present an AT
> port, so it's possible we could get that information via the AT port
> while still controlling the modem with MBIM.  Unfortunately though,
> that's not implemented.
>
> If you can manage to flash it back to R1D08 or whatever is the pre-
> MBIM
> firmware, it'll get used as a normal "MBM" modem and that would allow
> LAC/CI presentation.

Or another thought:

1) rmmod cdc_mbim
2) plug the modem in

then MM will detect it as a regular Ericsson MBM modem using AT
commands and you should be able to get LAC/CI and location info.  You
probably won't be able to start a data connection though, since these
devices do not provide the psuedo-ethernet port which ModemManager
requires for Ericsson MBM modems.

Dan