[review] dcbw/huawei-voice

Riccardo Vangelisti riccardo.vangelisti at sadel.it
Thu May 4 14:30:19 UTC 2017

Hi,
sorry for late reply but we took some time to test this branch using
these Huawei modems:

+-------------------+-----------------+--------------------------+-------+
| Modem             | Firmware        | ^CVOICE Support          | Voice |
+-------------------+-----------------+--------------------------+-------+
| Huawei ME909s-120 | 11.617.01.00.00 | ^CVOICE: 1, 8000, 16, 20 | Yes  |
| Huawei MU709s-2   | 11.651.67.00.00 | ^CVOICE: 1, 8000, 16, 20 | Yes  |
| Huawei E1150      | 11.609.18.00.00 | ^CVOICE:0,8000,16,20     | Yes  |
+-------------------+-----------------+--------------------------+-------+

First of all, when ^CVOICE command is not supported by the modem all of
voice capabilities are disabled.
For example, ME909s and MU709s modems have voice capabilities supported
by the firmware but voice is disabled anyway.

Our proposal is to use ^CVOICE command only for checking PCM audio port
capabilities and not for all voice capabilities.
Can voice capabilities be enabled or not using ATH or AT+CHUP command ?
Actually master don't check if modem has voice capabilities but simply
returns an error when you try to make a call.

Aleksander, did you check if this branch works on your MU709 dev board ?

Second, we tried to start and receive voice's calls using E1150 (CVOICE
supported) but no audio coming from /dev/ttyUSB1 (qcdm).
# mmcli -m 0 -o 0

|    encoding: 'unknown'
|  resolution: 'unknown'
|        rate: 'unknown'

If we make calls using mmcli --command in debug mode and enabling CVOICE
support (AT^CVOICE=0) and the audio port (AT^DDSETEX=2) all works
correctly and audio coming from /dev/ttyUSB1.
Example: # cat /dev/ttyUSB1 | aplay -f S16_BE

Dan, could you indicate the correct sequence to make a call when CVOICE
is supported ? How ModemManager tells me what is the correct device used
by audio stream ?

Thanks,
Riccardo