Received SMS and where they'll be stored

colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com
Tue May 23 13:19:22 UTC 2017

I'm re-exploring what happens through MM with received SMS - and could do
with some clarification on how it all interacts (modem vs. MM).

# mmcli -m 0 --messaging-status
/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
  ----------------------------
  Messaging | supported storages: 'me, sm'
            |    default storage: 'me'

I'm currently in a situation where I have (as shown by mmcli
--messaging-list-sms) four messages in ME storage  -  this is the max number
the modem's ME can hold. (I also, from some playing about in the past, have
a few messages in SM).
When I send it a new message, it doesn't seem to be getting delivered. I
haven't dug into any info available from delivery reports etc, but basically
there's no +CMTI occurring. Because, I assume, ME is full.
Then I delete one of the msgs in ME, and a while later the new msg arrives -
again going into ME.

So I'm wondering how to avoid (or at least give time to cater for) the ME
storage filling up.
Presumably (?) the SIM is going to be capable of storing more than 4 msgs,
so it would seem wise to select SM storage for received msgs instead of ME.
Is this something that can be controlled through MM, or is it more a case of
having to set it 'manually' in the modem itself and MM then just gets what
it gets?